Monday, April 22, 2013

Dog Walking Revelations

I was watching a program the other day about technology and how it is now such an integral part of all our lives and I heard something that caused me to look up from my iPhone... One of the professionals said that due to all this technology, we now all live in a dual screen generation. This means that I can be watching TV while checking my email or surfing the web on my iPad or iPhone. I obviously didn't catch ALL the details (the name of the show, what channel it was on or anything else about the program) because I was looking up YouTube videos on my iPad! The irony, I know...Anyway, ever since then, I have really noticed how much truth there is in that, especially for me. Do you notice that in your own life? Are you trolling  updating your Facebook status while watching TV or at the movies? Something to think about...
Dual Screen Generation
Anyway, that part was free. Here's really what I wanted to share. This evening, I was sitting on the couch, watching an old Reba episode AND playing Plants vs. Zombies on my iPad (don't EVER start playing that game. You've been warned...) when my sister called. We talked for a bit about staying in shape and how a lot of times we have to make ourselves work out and how difficult that can be. She had just left the gym and I had been on the couch almost ever since I'd arrived home from work. You can say I felt a little convicted. Maybe even a little guilty. The sun would be going down soon, so I decided I could take Lucy out for a nice walk.

I got up from the couch and put my shoes on and we were out the door. It was really a beautiful evening. The sky was still a Robin's egg shade of blue and the birds were singing their Hallelujah choruses. I pushed my sweatshirt sleeves up and all was right with the world...until we passed the house at the top of the hill...

BARK! SNARL! BARK! GRRR! The 2 black-lab-mixes in their chain link (or Sears fence- as my grandma always called it) pen were letting us have it! Their nails were scraping down the fence as they jumped, what seemed like, 4 feet off the ground. Their sharp white teeth was glaring during the incessant barking... It really was a bit unnerving.
Courtesy of rf123.com
Their loud howls were echoing off the other houses amplifying them even more and even though we pass this house all the time, it still alarms me. I looked down at little Lucy and she was focused straight ahead. Eyes wide open. I laughed at her to myself, we reached the end of the road and turned around to go back home. I sighed to myself as I prepared to meet the 'Hounds of Hell" once again.

Sure enough, embarrassing dog drama Part 2. I sped up a little bit fearing that the owners might come out to see what all the commotion is about. When we were out of their sight, they stopped barking. Peaceful silence. Then one of them jumped up on the fence and it scared Lucy. Without stopping, she turned her little head, eyes STILL wide open in fear to make sure they weren't coming after us.

I laughed at her again and said, "I got your back, little bit!" It was so funny to me that she was worried that something might happen to her with me right behind her. And that's when it hit me. I do the same thing with God. I'm connected to Him like Lucy's connected to me with her leash. Often times, I begin to take my mind off that fact and I get afraid of all the what-if's. What if those big scary dogs get out and come after little old me? What if something terrible and tragic happens? What if I lose my job? What if the stock market crashes? What if...
Courtesy of rf123.com
Well, the truth of the matter is, even if those big scary dogs did get out of their pen, they would have still had to go through me to get to my little love. And THAT Would. Not. Happen. Same thing with my owner. Terrible things happen. They will happen, but God has my back. Those things have to go through Him before they can get to me.

The M.O.T.H and I joke all the time about how spoiled Lucy is and how no dog in the history of dogs has ever been more loved or spoiled than her. (She's our only child!) But really, no matter how much we love her, and we SO do, God loves us a million, bazillion times more! He's not only got our backs, he's got us from every angle- beside, front and all around! (Psalm 139:5)

I thought about this on the way home and was grateful that He used a simple walk with my little pooch to remind me of His love for me. May we never cease to hear Him when he whispers His love in our ears. We just have to remember to remove the ear buds first.

No comments:

Post a Comment