Tuesday, August 6, 2013

"Try It Tuesday" White Bean Chicken Chili

Here's another post that I'm totally excited to share with you, but, first, a little background...

You know how on Pinterest, you find a recipe or craft that you love, then you actually visit the website and end up falling in love with that blog? That's what happened to me when I found awesome recipes linked to Dashing Dish. I think it was her protein shake recipes that drew me there, but then, I found a plethora of wonderful recipes that she has created and I was hooked. (She also has some pretty neat workout plans that are worth checking out!) 

Anyway, she gets all the credit for today's "Try It Tuesday" since this is her recipe. I have switched it up just a tad, but overall it's still pretty true to her creation, so I just want to make that very clear.
If you haven't visited her site, you definitely should! She's great!

With that out of the way, I present to you White Bean Chicken Chili!
This recipe was created by Katie at Dashing Dish as a healthier alternative to Applebee's White Bean Chicken Chili.
I, personally, have never tried Applebee's Chicken Chili, but if it tastes as good as this, it's got to be pretty amazing!
The great news? This recipe has less than 150 calories per 1 cup serving.
(Makes 10 servings)
(According to Applebee's nutritional info on their website, their chili has 400 calories per serving!)
EEK!

Here's what you'll need:
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed (uncooked)
2 cups chicken broth
1 can white corn, drained
2 (15 oz) cans Great Northern Beans
(Can puree one can for a thicker chili)
1 small diced onion (or 1 Tbs. dried onion flakes)
1/2 cup light sour cream
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 packet of McCormick's White Chili Seasoning Mix
(Dashing Dish's recipe calls for 1 packet of White Bean Chili Seasoning mix, but I wasn't able to find it...)

Now, once you have all the ingredients, you have 2 options, stove top cooking OR slow cooker cooking.
I was in a hurry, so I used the stove top method: Dump everything in a large pot and cook on medium heat for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.
If you want to cook in a crock-pot*, dump all the ingredients and cook on low for 8 hours. 

I can't say enough great things about this recipe!
It is SUPER delicious and VERY filling!
(It has nearly 6 grams of fiber and over 11 grams of protein!)
It's low calorie, low maintenance and tastes even better the day after!

I hope you enjoy this recipe and get a chance to check out Dashing Dish and let her know how awesome she is!
Enjoy!

*You don't have to use a Crock Pot brand slow cooker, but, for most Southerners I know, crock pot is synonymous to slow cooker like Kleenex is to tissue; Coke is to soda- FYI: true Southerners never use the word "soda" unless they are referring to baking soda; and Skil saw is to circular saw.
(That last part was courtesy of the hubs!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment